Contoh Soal Expressing Your Hopes and Wishes

Contoh Soal Expressing Your Hopes and Wishes Those two conversations are the examples of expressing hope and wish. In the first conversation, the underlined sentence is the expression of HOPE. Lia hopes that she will be able to prepare better than the previous test. In fact, she did not have any preparation for the Math test so she faced difficulty in doing the test.
The second conversation shows WISH expression. Michael and Jojo were watching Kites Parade. Michael was so amazed with the beautiful kites. Thus, he said that he wished he could fly like those kites. In fact, it is impossible for him to fly.
So, what is the difference between HOPE and WISH expression? When do we use HOPE expression? When do we use WISH expression? In this section, you will learn how to distinguish it.

I HOPE…

We use HOPE when there is a good chance of something happening. It is not impossible thing. So, there is ‘hope’ for something we wish to happen, even though the chances may be less.
Example:
a. I hope this is the last mistake I made.
The fact : You make mistake and you hope that there is a chance for improvement
b. I hope he comes to my party.
The fact : He didn’t come to the party yet and you hope that he is about to come in some couple hours later
c. I hope the rain drops soon.
The fact : The rain didn’t drop yet and you hope that the rain drops in a couple days later
Grammar
We use ‘hope’ in the Simple Present Tense. Let’s see the pattern below:
If you do not really know what exactly happened, and you hope something good happening for someone/something, you can use simple past tense form after the HOPE. See the pattern below:
Example:
a. I hope Suzan reached home safely.
The fact : You don’t know what exactly happened to Suzan but you hope she got home safely
b. I hope all passengers of Aviastar were found soon.
The fact : You don’t know what exactly happened to passengers of Aviastar but you hope they were found soon

I WISH…

We use WISH for something that impossible to happen. So, we say “I wish..” when we talk about something unreal. There is no possibility at all of such things happening. It is just wishful thinking, there is no hope.
Example:
a. I wish I could fly
The fact : It is impossible for you to fly
b. I wish you had come to the party last night
The fact : She didn’t come to the party last night and there is no possibility that he came to the party because the party was over (in the past)
c. I wish he had told me the truth
The fact : He didn’t tell you the truth about something happened in the past
Grammar :
The verb used in this expression is Past Tense Form.
If you want to express something you wish happened in past, use past perfect form. See the pattern below:


Contoh Soal Expressing Your Hopes and Wishes

Read the dialogue then ask the question below it!
Tessa : Have you visited Sandra? She was hit by a motorcycle last night
Diva : Not yet. Oh my God, I’m sorry to hear that. I hope she got well very soon
Tessa : Yes, me too.
According to the above dialogue, we know that ….
Read the following dialogue!
Dila : How was our class trip yesterday?
Febri : Wow.. Lombok Island is a beautiful island I’ve ever visited
Dila : It might be a cool trip, right. I hope I … join the trip next semester
The correct word to complete the above dialogue is ….
Read the following dialogue!
Ristya : What did you read?
Daniel : I read a brochure of tourism destination
Ristya : are you planning to go somewhere?
Daniel : No, but I wish I … go to Paris
Ristya : Amen for your wish
The correct word to complete the above dialogue is .....
Read the following dialogue!
Joshua : Oh my God, it is raining
Gohan : What’s the matter?
Joshua : I didn’t bring raincoat or umbrella. I hope the rain stops
Gohan : Yes, I think it won’t last longer
According to the above dialogue, we know that ….
From the above text we know that ....
Read the following dialogue!
Deny : Will you attend the meeting tomorrow, Edi?
Edi : It seems that I have many agendas for tomorrow, but I …. so
The correct word to complete the above dialogue is ....
Read the following dialogue!
Timothy : I applied in the best private Bank in this country as managerial position
Jehoash : Oh really? That’s good
Timothy : yeah, and I am … for an interview next week
Jehoash : Good luck then Tim
The correct word to complete the above dialogue is....
The correct word to complete the above greeting card is ….
Abel opens her new restaurant at the downtown. As a best friend, Nina should say ….
Samuel really adores Christina Perry. He said something to his friend ….

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel