Contoh Soal Understanding Conversational Texts , Expressing Surprise, Shock and Disbelief

Contoh Soal Understanding Conversational Texts , Expressing Surprise, Shock and DisbeliefLife is full of changes and mystery. We hear many kinds of news in our life. Every time, good and bad things can happen around us. When we get good news, of course we will feel happy. However, when the news is bad, we can feel surprised, shocked and sometimes do not belief of what happens.
        When we hear some unexpected news, especially unpleasant ones, how will we respond? In this chapter, you are going to learn about the expressions of surprise, shock and disbelief and how to show your surprises to them. At the end of this topic, you are expected to be able to express surprise, shock and disbelief for various purposes in daily activities contexts.

Expressing Surprise

Feeling surprised about something has two different meanings. A person may feel surprised about something good. For instance, when you get a birthday surprise party, of course you will be surprised in a happy way.
However, feeling surprised can happen to unhappy news. We may be surprised to hear news about accidents, natural disasters, or someone's death. For example, when we hear the news about an earthquake nearby our neighborhood, we might fell surprised and sad.
Look at the examples of expressing surprises below:
• Are you kidding me? How do you know that?
• Are you sure about that? 
• Are you serious?
Other ways that can be used in expressing surprises are as follows: 
• Are you kidding me?
• Are you sure about that?
• Are you serious?
• You must be joking!
• Wow, what a surprise!
• This is really a surprise for me!
• etc.
In addition to that, if we want to tell someone about some surprising information, we can use the following expressions:
• Guess what! I have the best rank in my school!
• I’ll tell you what! I have a good idea to solve our problem!
• You know what! I’m going to go to Australia next week!
There some more expressions to tell someone about surprising information.
• Guess what!
• I’ll tell you what!
• You know what!
• I’ll tell you something!
• Surprise!
• You won’t believe it!
• Believe it or not!

Expressing Shock

The feeling of shocked is much stronger than surprised. When we feel surprised, it can mean both positive and negative. However, a shocking feeling is often related to something unpleasant, bad or sad.
Look and learn the following examples below:
• I’m shocked to hear that. I really don’t know about the news.
• I’m really speechless to know that. As I know, he is a good boy.
There are some expressions that can be used in giving expressing shock:
• I’m shocked to hear that
• I’m in complete shocked
• I’m really speechless to know that.
• I have nothing to say about this.
• I can’t say anything.
• I have no words ….
• Etc.

Expressing Disbelief

Picture the following situation:
You got a text message informing that one of your classmates is in an intensive care unit of a hospital, and his condition is critical. The message also informs that he has injured himself badly in a single motor accident. As far as you know, he cannot ride a motorcycle. You couldn’t believe that he could get injured by riding a motor.
      The above situation is just an example of a condition where you may wonder whether an information is correct or incorrect. There is a contradiction here, between what you know and the information you get. This raises the feeling of disbelief. It means, you do not believe what you hear.
Learn the following examples. These are the expressions of disbelief that you can say based on the above situation:
• I don’t believe it. He can’t even ride a motorcycle.
• It’s so unbelievable. I know him very well.
Besides that, the following expressions are possible to use in expressing our disbelief to someone or something:
• I don’t believe it!
• It’s so unbelievable!
• I can’t believe it!
• How come?
• How could it be?
• Etc.

Do you understand?

Read the following dialogue. You will learn how to put the expressions above in the real conversation.
Bon: Hello, Arif! You know what! Our school will be on air tonight.
Arif: Really? Are you serious? How do you know that?
Boni: I’m telling the truth. Mr. Karno told us yesterday. You can ask him by yourself.
Arif: Ok, I’m really curious. What time will it start?
Boni: At 9 p.m. But I forget the channel. I’ll text you later. Make sure you watch it, Ok! Please tell others too.
Arif: I’m waiting. I’ll stay tune on the channel tonight.

Contoh Soal Understanding Conversational Texts , Expressing Surprise, Shock and Disbelief

Vita: Hi, Dhani, what’s up? You look so gloomy
Dhani: You know what! I lost my cell phone this morning.
Vita: Are you serious? How come?
Dhani: I put it in my pocket. I suppose I dropped it when I rode my motorcycle.
The bold expression is a kind of ….
Sani : You won’t believe it! Kinan told me that she knew who take my wallet. She saw it when she was taking her uniform after P.E. lesson. Surprisingly, she is our close friend, Anti.
Della: Really? I’m so speechless to say about this. Have you checked it to Anti?
Sani: This is why I’m telling you. Will you help to tell this to her?
Della: How if we ask her after school?
Sani: Ok. Thanks heaps.
The way to express shock in the dialog above is ....
Gusti: Guess what! Andi cheated on the last test, and Mr. Pratama finally gave him zero on the math test.
Fira: .... As I know, he is the best in Math, and he never cheats on his test. What a pity!
Gusti: People change.
The best expression to complete the text is ….
Situation: Your friend is going to move to Singapore since his father got a promotion for his job to open a branch office there. You are very shocked to hear this news.
Bina : I need to tell you something, Bina. I have to move to Singapore in the next a couple weeks. My father has been promoted for his new job and he has to move there.
You : .... Really. I’ll miss you so much.
For question number 5, arrange the dialog into a good order.
  1. Vian : I know that. But I’m serious! I did it not more than an hour. I rode my vehicle at night. Fortunately, the traffic is not heavy so I could ride my motorcycle at maximal speed.
  2. Vian : Yup, I know that. I almost hit the vehicles three times. I’m so thankful now I’m still alive. I won’t do that again. It’s so dangerous.
  3. Pongki : I’m glad to hear that, buddy.
  4. Vian : You won’t believe it! I took only an hour to go to Yogyakarta from Solo. I break the record. It’s my fastest time.
  5. Pongki : You must be joking! The distance between Yogyakarta and Solo is about 70 km. Besides, the traffic is so heavy and there are many traffic lights along the street.
  6. Pongki : Wow, that’s so dangerous, you know, even in the night traffic.
The best arrangement of the dialog above is ….
Complete the following dialog to answer question number 6.
Belva: Hi Ron, what’s going on with you? You missed school twice already this week, and without notice. Mr. Agus is looking for you these two days. Please tell me if you have any problem.
Roni: Well, actually all is running well Belva. I have something to do these recent days. Guess what! I want to give a surprise to Dona, your classmate, since she has her birthday tomorrow and I need some preparation on it. That’s why I was absent. But promise me, don’t tell anyone about it.
Belva: . . . . , You were absent just for preparing it all? It’s your choice. Now, you have to run a risk. Please go to Mr. Agus right now. He is waiting.
Dear Alifah,
I’m writing this letter to show you my deep sorrow about your lost. I’m really shocked to hear it. Last week, when I visited your house, I saw him still in a good condition. But God plans the best for our lives. Be sure that it is the best for your father. May he rest in peace. Please tell me if you need something. I would be very happy if you share it with me.
Your best friend,
Ratna
Based on the letter above, the reason why the sender said “that I’m really shock to know about it,” is ....
Dias : Hi Romy, guess what! I met Rihanna last night. . . . . 8)
Romy: Are you kidding me? Do you mean Rihanna the Hollywood artist?
Dias : Absolutely. I doubt it first. When I was walking in the park, there was someone caught my eye. Then I came closer and oh my God! It’s her! It’s my favorite idol!
Romy: Really? . . . . 9) Anyway, did you ask her signature or take a photo with her?
Dias : Umm…. that’s the problem. Actually I asked for her signature. But when I wanted to take it, suddenly my mom woke me up. I didn’t know what happen in the next. After I got up, I just realized that it’s just a dream. But it’s really a nice dream!
Romy : . . . . 10) I’m trying to believe in you. But you cheat me with your story.
Dias : So sorry Dias, just want to make a joke with you. But it’s true. I really met her in my dream.
Romy : Whatever you say.
The right expression to fill number 8 blank is ....
Dias : Hi Romy, guess what! I met Rihanna last night. . . . . 8)
Romy: Are you kidding me? Do you mean Rihanna the Hollywood artist?
Dias : Absolutely. I doubt it first. When I was walking in the park, there was someone caught my eye. Then I came closer and oh my God! It’s her! It’s my favorite idol!
Romy: Really? . . . . 9) Anyway, did you ask her signature or take a photo with her?
Dias : Umm…. that’s the problem. Actually I asked for her signature. But when I wanted to take it, suddenly my mom woke me up. I didn’t know what happen in the next. After I got up, I just realized that it’s just a dream. But it’s really a nice dream!
Romy : . . . . 10) I’m trying to believe in you. But you cheat me with your story.
Dias : So sorry Dias, just want to make a joke with you. But it’s true. I really met her in my dream.
Romy : Whatever you say.
The right expression to fill number 9 blank is ....
Dias : Hi Romy, guess what! I met Rihanna last night. . . . . 8)
Romy: Are you kidding me? Do you mean Rihanna the Hollywood artist?
Dias : Absolutely. I doubt it first. When I was walking in the park, there was someone caught my eye. Then I came closer and oh my God! It’s her! It’s my favorite idol!
Romy: Really? . . . . 9) Anyway, did you ask her signature or take a photo with her?
Dias : Umm…. that’s the problem. Actually I asked for her signature. But when I wanted to take it, suddenly my mom woke me up. I didn’t know what happen in the next. After I got up, I just realized that it’s just a dream. But it’s really a nice dream!
Romy : . . . . 10) I’m trying to believe in you. But you cheat me with your story.
Dias : So sorry Dias, just want to make a joke with you. But it’s true. I really met her in my dream.
Romy : Whatever you say.
The right expression to fill number 10 blank is ....

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel