Contoh Soal Expressing Surprise, Shock and Disbelief

Contoh Soal Expressing Surprise, Shock and DisbeliefIn this lesson you are going to learn about the expressions to show surprise and disbelief. You could practice to speak and use the expression in order to show a proper response according to the situation. To help you learn about the expression of surprise and disbelief, let’s take a look at the following picture.
section-media
       When you heard something unexpected, or when something you have never imagined happens, you might be surprised. You will feel shocked because you cannot believe about what really happened. That kind of situation is where you say the expression of surprise and disbelief.

The expression of surprise or shock

       This is the expression you usually show when something happens unexpectedly. In other word, this is the instant reaction when people hear about something surprising. Study the following dialogues.
Situation 1
Andy: Dika, someone has stolen your motorcycle!
Dika: Are you serious? I can’t believe it!
Situation 2
Anita: I think we should end our relationship.
Dika: Oh my God! It is impossible. I just lost my motorcycle.
According to the dialogues, Dika says “Are you serious?” and “Oh my God!” to express his surprise. Those are instant responses once Dika heard about something he did not expect to happen.
Here some expressions that is used to show surprise and shock.
Informal
• Wow!
• Oh my God!
• Really?
• Are you serious?
• What a surprise.
Formal
• I am in a complete shock.
• I was shocked to hear …
• I was stunned by …
• It came as a complete shock.

The expression of disbelief

Meanwhile, the expression of disbelief shows that we saw or heard something impossible to happen. Let’s take another look at the same situation.
Situation 1
Andy: Dika, someone has stolen your motorcycle!
Dika: Are you serious? I can’t believe it!
Situation 2
Anita: I think we should end our relationship.
Dika: Oh my God! It is impossible. I just lost my motorcycle.
In the first situation, Dika says “I can’t believe it!” to affirm that he does not believe that his motorcycle has been stolen. Likewise in the second situation, he says “It is impossible” because he never thought that his girlfriend ever wants to break up.
You can use the following expression to show disbelief.
Informal
• No way!
• I can’t/don’t believe it.
• It is unbelievable.
• It is impossible.
• You are kidding me.
• You are lying, aren’t you?
Formal
• There is no way it could have happened.
• Who would have predicted it?
• It doesn’t make sense for me.
• You’re not serious, are you?
• You’re joking, aren’t you?

Do you Understand


Here you are provided with some situations that need you to respond with expression of surprise or disbelief.
Situation 1:
Your brother tells you that one of his friends is dating the famous singer, Raisa.
Your brother : Brother, you know Doni, my classmate?
You : Yeah, the one who plays for football club?
Your brother : Exactly. He is dating Raisa, right now.
You : ....!
You know that it is impossible, so what will you say instead? Yes, you can show your expression of disbelief by:
“There is no way it could have happened",or “You are kidding me.”
Situation 2:
Your girlfriend asks to meet you out of sudden.
You : Why calling me all of sudden, baby?
Your girlfriend : Happy birthday! I made this cake just for you.
You : ....!
It is believed that you are stunned by the unexpected event. Your girlfriend gives you a special birthday cake. You can show your surprise by saying “Oh my God! This is unbelievable” or something like that. 

Contoh Soal Expressing Surprise, Shock and Disbelief

The following expressions are to show surprise or shock, except....
Your friend tells you that he wins a prize from a random quiz, but you know that it is a fraud. In this situation, your response would be ....
Answer the questions number 3 and 4 based on the following dialogue.
Anita: Fika, did you read today's news paper?
Fika: No, what did you find?
Anita: Tulus and Raisa will come to our school next week.
Fika: Are you serious? You are kidding me.
According to the dialogue, the expression to show surprise is ....
Answer the questions number 3 and 4 based on the following dialogue.
Anita: Fika, did you read today's news paper?
Fika: No, what did you find?
Anita: Tulus and Raisa will come to our school next week.
Fika: Are you serious? You are kidding me.
By saying "You are kidding me", it means that ....
Fill in the blank from the dialog below.
Angga: Genta is absent today. He got a fever.
Bintang: .... He was never sick before.
To show his disbelief, Bintang's response would be ....
Read the conversation below to answer question 6
Anggi: Hey, do you bring our paper work?
Bobi: I'm sorry, I forgot about about it.
Anggi: Are you serious? I can't believe it. Today is our presentation day.
The word it in the sentence "I can't believe it"refers to ....
Complete the following dialogue.
Mother: You spend too much money these days. I will cut your allowance from today.
Son : ....
The best expression to put in the conversation will be ….
The following dialog is to answer question 8.
Anggia: Have you heard about Gita?
Bobi: No, what is it about her?
Anggia: She got an accident yesterday, and she is still hospitalized now.
Bobi: It is very shocking. I'm sorry about her.
The phrase "It is very shocking" can be replaced by the following, except ....
The following conversation is for question number 9 and 10
Andi : Do you know Danang from class X-2?
Boni : No What is this about?
Andi : ....(9)he is going to get expelled because of cheating.
Boni : Really? That does not make any sense. He is a really good student.
The suitable expression for Andi, is ....
The following conversation is for question number 9 and 10
Andi : Do you know Danang from class X-2?
Boni : Yes, what is this about?
Andi : I can't believe that he is going to get expelled because of cheating.
Boni : Really? That does not make any sense. He is a really good student.
Andi and Boni are surprised about the news because ....

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel