Contoh Soal Expressing and Responding to Embarrassment

Contoh Soal Expressing and Responding to EmbarrassmentResponding to the meaning in conversation transactional (to get things done) and interpersonal (social) and continued official (sustained) which uses a variety of spoken language accurately, fluently and acceptable in the daily life context which involves speech acts: expressing attitudes towards something, expressing embarrassment.

Expressing Embarrassment

Have you ever feel embarrassed?
What is your most embarrassing moment?
Have you ever called a friend and tap his body, then you realize that he is not your friend?
If you were telling something bad about someone then your friend tell you that person was standing right behind you, how would you feel?
Most of you may ever have those experiences. How did you feel at that time? You must feel embarrassed. These situations may be heard so funny, but sometime you will get upset if your friends are laughing at your embarrassing moment, won’t you?
Embarrassment is a feeling being ashamed because of something you have done. It can happen in the past or at the present time. The moment can be so embarrassing so it can make your face is blushing or sweating.
To express embarrassment, you can use the following phrases:

Using exclamatory sentence:

  • What a shame!
  • How embarrassing…!
  • What an embarrassment!

Without exclamatory mark

  • Shame on me
  • I feel awkward
  • I was so ashamed
  • I don't feel comfortable
  • Tell me it never happened
  • It really makes me ashamed

Responding to Embarrassment

To respond this expression, you can use the following phrases, but you should pay attention to its situation:

When you feel it heard so funny and you are sure that he or she won’t be mad at you, use these phrases:
  • You are so funny
  • That’s really funny
  • What a funny story!
When you appreciate his feeling, use these phrases:
  • Oh, that's bad.
  • I know how you feel.
  • I'm sorry to hear that.
  • You must be very ashamed.
  • If I were you I would feel the same.

Do you understand?

To understand how to use expressions and responses of embarrassment, read the following conversations:
Conversation 1
(Situation: Dika attends Dina’s birthday with the wrong clothes)
Dika : Happy birthday, Dina.
Dina : Thank you very much. But, why are you wearing a pink shirt?
Dika : Because it's your party. You like pink color then I bought this shirt just for attending your birthday party.
Dina : Oh, I appreciate your effort. Did you read my invitation card? I still remember that the dress code is white.
Dika : Ah, really? I didn't read the card. So, everybody wears white clothes?
Dina : Of course. You are the only one person who wears pink clothes.
Dika : Oh, my God. I don’t feel comfortable. I have to go home.
Dina : It's okay. You don't need to.
Conversation 2
(Situation: Oki got wet because of got into a river)
Wildan : What's wrong with your clothes?
Oki : It's wet.
Wildan : Yes, I know. I mean what happened to you?
Oki : When I walked home, a dog chase after me. I was shock. I ran then I got into a river. There were a lot of people who saw me. How embarrassing it is!
Wildan: Hahaaa!! That’s so funny.
Conversation 3
(Situation: Soni forgot to bring his wallet)
Soni : What a bad day!
Gian : What's wrong? Did something terrible happen to you?
Soni : I forgot to bring my wallet.
Gian : Oh, that's bad. I will lend you some money.
Soni : Not that. I took “Ojeg” this morning and I couldn't pay it.
Gian : So how you paid it?
Soni : That man was angry then I saw Liza. I asked her to lend me money.
Gian : You mean Liza is the girl who you often mock?
Soni : Yes. I have no choice. It was so embarrassing. I should say sorry to her for what I did.


Contoh Soal Expressing and Responding to Embarrassment

Which situation is NOT included into embarrassing moment? Choose the right option below ....
Choose the phrase that is included into expression of embarrassment ....
Which phrase is the best response to keep your friend’s feeling when he told his embarrassing experience? Choose the right answer below ....

“I saw a piece of cake on the table. I thought it was my sister’s cake so I ate it. But, when she came with her friend, she told me that it was her friend’s cake. Oh, ....”

Which phrase is suitable to complete the sentence?
You lose in a basketball match against younger team. The correct expression for this situation is ....
“Last week, I asked Meina to have a date in front of public. I was so confident she would accept my invitation. But, she said that she had already a boyfriend. It means that I was rejected.”
Which phrase is suitable to respond this embarrassment moment?
Read the conversation below to answer question number 7 and 8.
Roni : How was the show last night?
Bimo : It was terrible.
Roni : What happened?
Bimo : I fell on the stage, shame on me.
Roni : ....
Bimo : Yes, of course.
Roni : But, how come?
Bimo : I didn’t realize that my shoelace was undone. I stepped on it then fell down. Then the spectators laughed at me.
The phrase that is suitable to complete the conversation is ....
Read the conversation below to answer question number 7 and 8.
Roni : How was the show last night?
Bimo : It was terrible.
Roni : What happened?
Bimo : I fell on the stage, shame on me.
Roni : ....
Bimo : Yes, of course.
Roni : But, how come?
Bimo : I didn’t realize that my shoelace was undone. I stepped on it then fell down. Then the spectators laughed at me.
The phrase that is suitable to complete the conversation is ....
Read the conversation below to answer question number 9 and 10.
Firman : Hey, I heard that you met Wulan in the concert last night. You had to enjoy it.
Hilman : You wrong.
Firman : You like her, don’t you?
Hilman : Yes. I had just sent her a love letter a day before. I felt clumsy.
Firman : Hahaa.. if I were there, I could see your blushing face.
“I had just sent her a love letter a day before. I felt clumsy.”
The word “clumsy” mean is ....
Read the conversation below to answer question number 9 and 10.
Firman : Hey, I heard that you met Wulan in the concert last night. You had to enjoy it.
Hilman : You wrong.
Firman : You like her, don’t you?
Hilman : Yes. I had just sent her a love letter a day before. I felt clumsy.
Firman : Hahaa.. if I were there, I could see your blushing face.
His embarrassing moment based on the conversation above is ....

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel